Overcoming difficulties

Rental repairs

Who is responsible for repairs and renovations?

The principle is simple: the tenant is responsible for minor repairs (ripped upholstery, joints to be changed, etc.) and the owner is responsible for the more costly repairs (changing a faulty heating system, for example).

Consult Decree No. 87-712 of August 26, 1987 adopted pursuant to Article 7 of Law No. 86-1290 of December 23, 1986 to promote rental investment, the ownership of social housing and development of the real estate offer and relating to rental repairs


All repairs not included in this Decree are the responsibility of the owner.


The UNPI advises private property owners through its network of 120 associations of owners and co-owners and offers members:

  • Consultations with specialists: lawyers, legal advisers, notaries, surveyors, bailiffs, tax specialists, etc.
  • Information on: home, shop and office rentals, seasonal rentals, furnished rentals, co-ownership, tax (property and local tax, income tax statement, wealth tax, rental tax, etc.), home improvement, property companies (SCI), urban planning, expropriation (housing, unpaid rent, non-occupant owners and immoveable property), rent review, drafting of leases, information on the ALUR law, etc.

To securely rent your property, the legal advisers of the UNPI offer leases and printed material that provide you with first-rate security.

42, rue Marguerite Duras
58000 NEVERS
Telephone: 03 86 61 17 02 – Email: chambresyndicaleunpi58@orange.fr
Opening hours: from Monday to Friday from 2:00 pm to 5:15 pm

Claims relating to energy

For any question or claim (EDF invoice too high, poor estimate of consumption by DIRECT ENERGIE, unexplained increase of your ENGIE invoice, excessive connection times by ENEDIS or GRDF or problem concerning your last delivery of LPG fuel, for example), you must first contact the customer service of your supplier or distributor.

Most claims are dealt with by telephone.

However, if your problem is complex or if you cannot solve it over the telephone, a written claim is necessary.

The contact details of the claims departments of the major electricity and natural gas suppliers are as follows:

Customer service
TSA 20012

Customer service
TSA 42108
76934 ROUEN CEDEX 09

Customer service
TSA 21519
75 901 Paris CEDEX 15

Customer service
TSA 30207

For the contact details of other electricity and natural gas suppliers, and suppliers of other energies (LPG through a network, by tank or cylinder (propane, butane), fuel oil, wood, etc.), refer to your contract or invoice.

A claim by email has the same value as a claim by letter.



If, at the end of two months, you have not received a response from your operator or if you are not satisfied with the response, you can freely refer the matter to the National Energy Ombudsman within a maximum period of 10 months.

Declare your dispute directly to the National Energy Ombudsman online with Sollen.

SOLLEN is a free and interactive online dispute resolution service that allows you to interact directly with the energy operator and the ombudsman services.
You can also declare your dispute by letter, by printing and completing a form and sending it with all documents concerning your dispute to:

Médiateur national de l’énergie
Libre réponse n° 59252
75443 PARIS Cedex 09

The referral to the Ombudsman is free: there is no need to put a stamp on your letter!

In case of dispute

In case of dispute, an amicable settlement is always preferable.

When disputes relate to the amount of the rent, the inventory, the security deposit, rental charges and repairs, you can refer the matter to the conciliation commission free of charge. Its purpose is to seek a solution to the dispute. It is not a court. The parties express themselves freely before a small and competent assembly.

Direction Départementale de la Cohésion Sociale et de la Protection des Populations – DDCSPP 1 rue Ravelin – BP 54 58020 Nevers cedex
03 58 07 20 11 www.nievre.gouv.fr

For all other disputes (non-payments, problems between neighbours, etc.), tenants and owners can contact the judicial conciliator. He is appointed by the first president of the Court of Appeal, sits in the High Court and will attempt a mediation between the two parties.

Find a help-deskhttps://www.conciliateurs.fr/Trouver-une-permanence?dpt=58#carte

If the conciliation is unsuccessful or if the other party fails to show up, a judicial procedure should be launched either by summons to appear or by declaration to the registry of the High Court (if the claim is less than 4,000 €).